SINGAPORE: Authorities in Singapore will update the public “shortly” regarding the upcoming launch of an air travel bubble with Hong Kong, after a spike in COVID-19 cases in Hong Kong on Friday (Nov 20).
Singapore is due to launch an air travel bubble with Hong Kong on Sunday, with an initial one flight a day into each city.
However, Hong Kong recorded 26 new COVID-19 cases on Friday, with the city’s top health official describing the situation as “severe”.
It was previously reported that the arrangement would be suspended for two weeks if the seven-day moving average for unlinked coronavirus infections exceeds five in either city.
In response to a CNA query, the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (CAAS) said that members of the public have asked if plans for the travel bubble will proceed as planned in light of the COVID-19 situation in Hong Kong.
READ: Singapore-Hong Kong air travel bubble: What you need to know
READ: Hong Kong closes more schools as COVID-19 situation turns ‘severe’, health minister says
“We are working closely with Singapore Ministry of Health to gather the facts, and will update the public shortly,” said CAAS.
“The Singapore and Hong Kong Governments are in close contact on the situation.”
Secretary for Food and Health Professor Sophia Chan said on Friday that Hong Kong has “probably entered into a new wave of cases”, citing experts and information from the Centre for Health Protection.
BOOKMARK THIS: Our comprehensive coverage of the coronavirus outbreak and its developments
Download our app or subscribe to our Telegram channel for the latest updates on the coronavirus outbreak: https://cna.asia/telegram