MANILA: The Philippines will ban travellers from 19 countries and territories until mid-January as a measure to keep out a new variant of the coronavirus, its transport ministry said on Tuesday (Dec 29).
The regulation will be in effect from midnight of Dec. 29 to Jan. 15, covers Filipinos and foreigners arriving from the “flagged countries”, the transport ministry told reporters in a group text message.
The Philippine government previously imposed and later extended a flight ban from Britain until mid-January.
READ: Commentary: The Philippines is still struggling to get a handle on COVID-19
READ: Philippines prolongs partial COVID-19 curbs in Manila to Jan 31
Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte on Monday extended partial coronavirus restrictions in the capital of Manila until the end of January to prevent the spread of COVID-19 following Christmas and holiday festivities.
The capital region, which accounts for 40 per cent of the country’s economic output and is home to at least 12 million people, remains the COVID-19 hotspot in the Philippines, which has the second highest infections and deaths in Southeast Asia.
In a national address, Duterte placed the capital region, his hometown Davao City and eight other areas under partial quarantine measures for the entirety of January. Less stringent restrictions will be enforced for the rest of the country.
“Stay home if it is really possible, if you can. It is for your own good,” Duterte said.
BOOKMARK THIS: Our comprehensive coverage of the coronavirus outbreak and its developments
Download our app or subscribe to our Telegram channel for the latest updates on the coronavirus outbreak: https://cna.asia/telegram