In-person applications have been required for the past two and a half years due to COVID-19 restrictions, but the bureau said that as the current COVID-19 situation in Macao was stable and demand to visit the city was increasing, the government had decided to offer e-visas.
Shares in Hong Kong-listed Galaxy Entertainment and Wynn Macau dropped more than 3 per cent early in Monday’s session but later reversed course to trade in positive territory.
Macao casino executives also said a decision on new licences could come as early as this week.
Macao’s six casino operators – Sands China, Wynn Macau, Galaxy Entertainment, MGM China, Melco Resorts and SJM Holdings – are awaiting a government decision on whether they will be granted new licences that would allow them to continue operating in 2023.
Any operators unable to secure a new licence would be required to return their premises to the government. New licence terms will be 10 years versus 20 years previously, giving operators a shorter horizon to make back billions of dollars they have to invest under the government’s mandate.