MALE: India’s navy on Friday (May 8) began evacuating from the Maldives around 750 of the hundreds of thousands of Indian nationals stranded worldwide because of coronavirus.
The operation by two warships in Male forms part of an initial operation to repatriate almost 15,000 Indians from 12 countries where they have been stuck since India banned incoming flights in late March to halt the pandemic.
On Thursday, the first two repatriation flights brought back 354 Indians from Abu Dhabi and Dubai in the United Arab Emirates. They then went into quarantine centres.
In the Maldives, around 4,000 of the 27,000 Indians living in the archipelago have registered to be taken home.
On Friday the first batch of 750 underwent the emigration process before boarding the INS Jalashwa which will set sail for Kochi in the southern state of Kerala.
READ: Massive India repatriation begins with flights from UAE
Footage posted on Twitter by the Indian High Commission (embassy) showed how the naval vessel had been modified to accommodate civilians – complete with neat rows of bunk beds and chairs.
Each passenger is being charged US$40 for the service, the High Commission said.
Satish Kumar, who lost his job in the Maldives in February, said he was looking forward to going home.
“You look in any corner of Male, you can hear about a positive case. Male is very dense (and) the community spread is high,” Kumar, 55, told AFP.
“I’m very relieved that I’m leaving. I know I’ve lost my job but I just want to go back to my family.”
READ: India embarks on ‘massive’ COVID-19 repatriation
The evacuation from the Maldives is part of a massive repatriation effort by India which banned flights in late March to halt the pandemic but stranded hundreds of thousands around the world. (Photo: AFP/Ahmed SHURAU)
Maldives has reported 642 virus cases with two deaths so far.
India’s coronavirus lockdown, one of the world’s strictest lockdowns, left vast numbers of workers, students and tourists stranded.
The lockdown has been steadily eased but there are still no scheduled flights.
India’s coronavirus cases passed 50,000 this week with 16,540 deaths as of Friday, with recent days having seen record jumps.
Another warship is due to pick up more Indians in the UAE – home to a 3.3-million-strong Indian community which makes up some 30 per cent of the Gulf state’s population.
The consulate in Dubai said it had received almost 200,000 applications, appealing on Twitter for “patience and cooperation” as India undertakes the “massive task” of repatriation.
The novel coronavirus and its devastating economic impact have left many workers in the region sick and others unemployed, unpaid and at the mercy of sometimes unscrupulous employers.
Other special flights were due to leave Singapore, Malaysia and the Philippines, as well as London, San Francisco, New York, Chicago and Washington.
Around 1,000 Indians were scheduled to arrive in India on Friday from Dhaka, Singapore, Riyadh, Manama and Dubai.
Some of the citizens have complained about delays in evacuation triggered by the need to test crew, as well as the move to charge for repatriation.
BOOKMARK THIS: Our comprehensive coverage of the coronavirus outbreak and its developments
Download our app or subscribe to our Telegram channel for the latest updates on the coronavirus outbreak: https://cna.asia/telegram