SHANGHAI: China reported the fewest new COVID-19 cases in more than a month, official data showed on Friday (Feb 5), suggesting that the latest wave of the disease is subsiding ahead of the key Chinese New Year holiday period set to begin next week.
The National Health Commission said in a statement that a total of 20 new mainland COVID-19 cases were reported on Thursday, down from 30 cases a day earlier and marking the fewest cases since 19 patients were reported on Dec 31.
Only six of the new cases were locally transmitted infections, with five reported in northeastern Heilongjiang province and one in Shanghai. New asymptomatic cases, which China does not classify as confirmed COVID-19 cases, rose to 28 from 12 a day earlier, however.
READ: China bat caves need exploring in search for COVID-19 origins, WHO team member says
READ: White House demands ‘robust’ international probe into COVID-19 origins
Chinese authorities rolled out aggressive measures including lockdowns, travel curbs and mass testing in response to a surge in new cases last month, which initially hit Hebei province surrounding Beijing the hardest but later took root in Heilongjiang and neighbouring Jilin province.
Even though the number of new cases has trended lower in recent days, authorities still continue to urge caution and discourage travel during the Chinese New Year break that begins on Feb 11. Travel during the period is expected to be down sharply, but still see tens of thousands on the move, according to official forecasts, reflecting heightened caution.
The total number of confirmed mainland COVID-19 cases now stands at 89,669, while the death toll is unchanged at 4,636.
BOOKMARK THIS: Our comprehensive coverage of the coronavirus outbreak and its developments
Download our app or subscribe to our Telegram channel for the latest updates on the coronavirus outbreak: https://cna.asia/telegram